This is a quick and delicious treat perfect for Valentine’s Day: heart-shaped cherry empanadas! They are so simple to make and a fun activity for kids to make and take to school to share with their classmates.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh, pitted sweet cherries
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar plus a little more for sprinkling
- 2 prepared pastry pie crusts (store bought is fine)
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add cherries and sugar to a small saucepan and turn heat to medium. Cook for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool while working with pie dough.
- Place a pie crust on a lightly-floured surface.Using a 4-inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut 5-6 hearts out. Repeat with the second pie crust. Transfer half the hearts to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk egg, brush egg wash along the edges of the hearts on baking sheet.
- Place 1 Tbsp of the cherry mixture in the center of each heart
- Place the remaining hearts on top of the cherry filled heart. Gently press the edges
- Using a fork crimp, the edges to seal.
- Lightly brush the top of the hearts with more egg wash. Sprinkle with a little sugar. Using a sharp knife, cut two small slits in each heart.
- Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown